Giuseppe Rossi says ‘disagreements’ scuppered Barcelona move

April 26, 2020
By: Daniel Orme

Former Manchester United and Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi has revealed that he almost moved to Barcelona in 2011, with only disagreements halting the move.

The Italian international was in the midst of arguably the most successful period of his career at the time having plundered 32 goals in 56 matches in all competitions during the 2010/11 season.

That prolificacy in front of goal saw Rossi interest the giants of Spanish football, with Barcelona even making a move, a transfer that he revealed could have happened at it not been for disagreements between his then employers Villarreal and the Catalans.

Talking to Sky Sports, the now 33-year-old said: “The 2010/11 season was fantastic for me, and I was only behind Ronaldo and Messi in goals scored.

“I caught the attention of Barcelona, and a deal was agreed. But there was a disagreement over the fee, as Barca wanted to pay in instalments, and Villarreal said no.”

Following the collapsed deal, Rossi remained with the club for just one more injury-hit campaign before departing for Fiorentina. He then also represented Levante, Celta Vigo, Genoa and most recently MLS outfit Real Salt Lake.

Throughout his career so far, the 30-capped Italian striker, has made 338 appearances and scored 128 goals.

We Highly Recommend These Places
Share your Opinion!